Are you wondering what Facebook privacy settings are all about? do you know how you can change your privacy on Facebook? Facebook has never been particularly good at prioritizing your privacy, your data powers its business after all.
Facebook offers a fairly strong set of tools to control who knows what about you both on the platform and around the web, but Facebook doesn’t always make those settings easy to find and they may not all offer the level of protection you want.
Facebook Privacy Settings
Are your Facebook settings adjusted for maximum privacy, Facebook holds the personal data of billions of monthly active users and you should ensure the safety of your personal information while using the social media giant. In this article, you will find out exactly how in our comprehensive Facebook privacy settings guide.
Set a Strong Password
The first thing you must do is to set a strong password; your password is your first line of digital defense so it is important to have a good one. Facebook recommends at least six characters, a symbol and a mix of upper and lowercase letters and even longer passwords are more secure.
Facebook also recommends that your password should be unrelated to the one you use for your email and also avoid including any obvious personal information like your phone number or your birthday in it.
Find Your Facebook Settings Page
After creating your new password you will need to go to your personal Facebook settings page in order to adjust your account settings. The steps on how to find your Facebook settings page are right here:
- From your newsfeed click on the menu icon at the top right of the screen.
- Next, you will scroll down and select Settings from the dropdown menu.
- This will take you immediately to your General Account Settings page. From there you will be able to select from the list on the left the specific security areas you wish to modify from privacy settings to payment specs.
To start you will have to review your current Facebook privacy settings, if you are new to Facebook or have never played around with personalization your account most likely reflects the Facebook default privacy settings. With these steps below you will be able to view and revise your current Facebook privacy settings.
- Select Privacy from the list on the left top side of your general account settings.
- From there you will be able to see your existing privacy settings in full from the posts you publish to the people you talk to. Each of the elements can be adjusted according to your personal preferences all you have to do is click the edit button.
- Select security and login to see more details about your current security settings.
How to Change your Facebook Privacy Settings
Now that you know where to find your settings you will be able to change your Facebook privacy settings. The steps on how to change your Facebook privacy settings are right here:
Control who can see your Facebook Posts
- Open your General account settings page and select privacy in the top left.
- Next, you will be able to see who has access to what you post.
- Click edit to customize your posting privacy settings.
Hide your Personal Profile Information
- Go to your personal Facebook profile by clicking your name in the top left of the Facebook homepage.
- Under intro on the left side of the screen click Edit Details.
- Unselect any personal information you don’t want publicly visible by toggling the gray bars at the left of each item.
- Hit Save to update preferences.
Revoke Permissions for Apps and Games
- Select apps and websites from the list on the left of your General Account Settings.
- Get rid of any games you are no longer using by checking the little white box at the far right of the listing and then clicking Remove.
Turn off Facial Recognition
- Select Face Recognition Settings from the list on the left of your General Account Settings screen.
- Click Edit to review your facial recognition settings, use the dropdown bar to make your selection.